The M.A. programme at the Faculty of Philology offers students innovative theoretical, practical and professional knowledge, as they are trained to further perform various assignments in the professions of their choice. Competencies developed through the undergraduate programmes in the Faculty are further enhanced and developed in different M.A. programmes offered by the Faculty of Philology. Aside from deepening their professional and academic competences, M.A. students are provided with guidance in the process of preparation, writing and defence of their M.A. theses.
M.A. studies at the Faculty of Philology allow students to broaden their horizons in the area of linguistic research, literary studies, cultural studies, translation and interpreting studies, as well as in teaching methodologies (for both foreign languages and Serbian as a foreign language).
Serbian Language (a list of courses)
At the M.A. level, students of the Serbian Language have the opportunity to further explore modern linguistic theory and methodological approaches in different areas of Serbian language science. Through practice, the M.A. programme put the students in proper context in order to apply acquired knowledge and teaching methodologies.
Serbian Literature (a list of courses)
Through elective courses at the M.A. level, students have the opportunity to further deepen their interests in specific areas: Serbian Literature (History and Poetics), Comparative Literature (South Slavonic and General) and Didactics of Teaching Literature. The M.A. programme introduces students to elements and techniques of scientific work, allowing them to master the methodological aspects of scientific research, and providing them with specialization in the academic field of their choice.
Language, Literature, Culture (a list of courses)
Having established the highest academic standards, this program strives to provide students with the theoretical knowledge and the practical know-how that are needed in order to successfully perform in different professions and/or to continue scientific research at the more advanced level of Ph.D. studies. The course in Academic Writing is an obligatory course for all M.A. students. All courses are organized in the forms of lectures, presentations, group activities, and independent study activities.
In accordance with the general and specific objectives of the Tempus project REFLESS (Reforming foreign language studies in Serbia), the M.A. program Master in Conference Translation and Interpreting trains specialists in the areas of conference interpreting and translation, providing them with scientific and technical knowledge and skills consistent with our societal needs and projected social development in line with the European integration process of this country, while fostering linguistic and cultural diversity as a national treasure.
The M.A. program Master in Conference Translation and Interpreting integrates higher education, scientific research and professional activity, and is designed to prepare students for a recognizable, socially justified professional engagement that has universal and fundamental significance for societal development. The implementation of this program should ensure the acquisition of professional competencies which are necessary in:
- all activities in the public and private sectors where there is a need for translators and interpreters of English/German/French and Serbian;
- all other activities in the public and private sectors where there is a need for a thorough knowledge of English/German/French and translation/interpreting skills.
Cultures in Dialogue (a list of courses)
The M.A. program Cultures in Dialogue is designed for candidates with different academic backgrounds (not necessarily in philology) who have academic and professional interests in comparative cultural studies, either in the context of Serbian culture relations with other cultures, or in a more general context of cultures and cultural traditions of the world. In a multilingual and multicultural society which fosters the concept of lifelong learning, this type of M.A. program enables the inclusion of a growing number of foreign students, as well as individuals employed in diplomacy and, of course, local students interested in intercultural relations.
The study program Cultures in Dialogue is intended to:
- provide students with theoretical knowledge and skills in the area of contrasting and a better understanding of cultures of different nations in accordance with the highest academic standards;
- provide students with necessary competencies for the successful continuation of academic research;
- provide professional development for those individuals whose careers require an expertise in the areas of cultural and traditional values of different nations in contact;
- place Serbian studies within a larger comparative context.
Serbian as a Foreign Language (a list of courses)
Upon mastering this study program, students will:
- learn about the cultural specificities of the Serbian language and traditions;
- gain theoretical and methodological competencies that are related to the acquisition of Serbian as a foreign language;
- gain practical skills in the area of didactics for teaching Serbian as a foreign language;
- get training in order to be able to tailor curricula for Serbian as a foreign language to individual students’ needs based on their linguistic and cultural backgrounds;
- get theoretical and methodological competencies needed to allow them to train future teachers of Serbian as a foreign language.